As part of developing yourself and your practice, you may well have advanced your knowledge and skills. It's important therefore that there is a process for recognising this new level of knowledge and skills – for example your ability to manage more complex patients and their medication needs. We are developing a process where we will be able to provide you with the appropriate professional recognition (credentials).
A robust credentialing service will:
- Provide evidence that you are equipped to manage the medicines of more complex patients safely, in the context of pharmaceutical care
- Enhance the quality of pharmaceutical care – through robust evaluation of practice and service developments
- Incentivise professional development beyond regulation requirements
- Provide opportunities for continued advancement of practice and open up new practice and scientific opportunities
- Encourage the formation of useful communities of practice and opportunities for enhanced networking between peers
Already been recognised for your development?
We recognise that some pharmacists may have already had their level of practice recognised by one of the Specialist Groups. We are working on three strands of personal recognition in partnership with these groups.
In the first instance it's important we recognise those who have already attained credentials from Specialist Groups. We will then focus on those pharmacists who have attained a level of practice (knowledge, skills, and experience) but haven't had any recognition for this. Finally we are working on the entire programme of professional recognition which includes curricula development, methods of assessement, development, credentialing and accreditation.