Elsie Hooper was one of the Association of Women Pharmacists’ first Joint Secretaries.
Elsie Seville Hooper passed the minor examination and registered as a Chemist & Druggist on 10 July 1901. She passed the Major examination and registered as a Pharmaceutical Chemist on 16 April 1902. Her address on registration is given as 52 Clapton Common, London.
She was awarded a Burroughs Scholarship by the Society and worked for a degree in the evenings at Birkbeck College. After she took her degree, she worked on the first British Pharmaceutical Codex, and studied for her Institute of Chemistry qualification, which she passed in 1906. She became a fellow of the Institute of Chemistry in 1909.
After a year’s analytical work at King’s College, she worked on Secret Remedies, a publication produced by the British Medical Journal to expose the previously unknown formulae of popular medicines. After a year, she left to take up a chemical lectureship at Portsmouth Municipal College, which she held for four and a half years. During World War One, she worked as an analyst for Ucal in Cheltenham.
After this, she remained London-based for the rest of her working life. During 1921 her registered address changed to Gordon Hall School of Pharmacy, Gordon Square, London, the place where she had trained under Margaret Buchanan. Whilst at the school, Elsie Hooper owned two pharmacies: from 1936 until 1945 at 12a Belsize Terrace, London NW3 and at 1 Flask Walk, Hampstead, London NW3 until 1961. She was keen to apprentice female pharmacy students from the school.
She retired to Paignton, Devon, and stayed there until her death in 1969.
Image above: Elsie Hooper