Georgina Barltrop was one of the Association of Women Pharmacists’ first Joint Secretaries.
Georgina Elizabeth Barltrop passed the Minor examination and registered as a Chemist & Druggist on 29 September 1903. Her address on registration is given as The Avelings, Chingford Road, Walthamstow. During 1903 she obtained the 2nd certificate in the Elementary Course Practical Chemistry Examination.
During 1909 she married Harold Deane, a Pharmaceutical Chemist, and Director of the pharmaceutical company, Stafford Allen. Her registration entry is changed to Georgina Elizabeth Deane and her registered address to St. Olave’s, Sudbury, Suffolk.
Mr Deane was also grandson of Henry Deane (who founded the pharmacy at 17 The Pavement, Clapham Common, which was later taken over by Margaret Buchanan and Agnes Borrowman).
During 1921 her registered address is changed to Inward House, Sudbury, Suffolk. She remained at this address until her name is removed from the register in 1934.
No reason for the erasure is given but her name is not reinstated during the next 20 years. Presumably she had ceased to practice; her husband remained on the register until his death in 1968.
Image above: Georgina Barltrop