Museum information sheets
Our information sheets are available here in the PDF format. If you are unable to print the information sheets, they are available by post. Please contact the Museum on 020 5772 2211 (museum enquiries only) or via email.
Click on the relevant title below to view the information sheet.
1. Drug preparation and extraction
2. Secundum artem - the skill of the apothecary and pharmacist
3. Liquid medicines and medicine bottles
4. Lozenges and pastilles
5. Suppositories, pessaries and bougies
6. Ointments, creams and plasters
7. Pills and pill-making
8. Powders and cachets
9. Capsules and tablets
10. Patent and brandname medicines
11. Balances, weights and measures
12. Dispensary bottles
13. Pharmaceutical symbols
14. English Delftware storage jars
15. Display glassware
16. Domestic medicine chests
19. Prescription reading
20. Taking the medicine
22. Lambeth's links with pharmacy
This information sheet outlines some of the health and safety, and legal issues surrounding collections of pharmacy material in museums, and held by private collectors.