Contact the media team
General press office number: 020 7572 2272
Out of hours number: 07860 643862
Campaigns and Corporate Communications Manager
Tel: 020 7572 2375
Mob: 07762 119278
Corporate Communications and Digital Assistant
Tel: 020 7572 2432
Mob: 07976 187911
Head of Corporate Communications
Tel: 020 7572 2335
Mob: 07860 643862
Corporate Communications Officer
Tel: 020 7572 2249
Mob: 07816 279793
Fast facts about medicines
Did you know that...
- Around 1 in 20 prescriptions contain an error?
- £300m of medicine is wasted each year?
- More than 1 in 7 British adults admit to buying medicines online because they think they are getting cheaper drugs and faster delivery?
- Around 50% of medicines purchased from illegal websites over the internet are counterfeit?
- The NHS spends approximately £8.8 billion on medicines in England every year?
- In addition the NHS spends around £3.8 billion a year in England on medicines used in hospitals
- Up to 50% of patients worldwide do not take their prescribed medicines as recommended?
- Around 4-5% of hospital admissions are due to problems caused by the incorrect use of medicines? This is an estimated cost of £466 million a year to the NHS in England.
- Finding and developing new medicines takes around 10 to 12 years and it costs around £550 million from its discovery to gaining a licence?
- Antibiotic resistance is a significant threat to human health?
- About 440 000 new cases of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) emerge annually, causing at least 150 000 deaths.
- Generic medicines are as effective as the branded versions, but can cost up to 80% less?
- Only a quarter of parents know which children medicines contain paracetamol?
- There are 180,000 people with dementia who are currently prescribed antipsychotics and that two thirds of this prescribing is unnecessary. It is estimated that this excessive use of antipsychotics leads to 1,800 deaths and 1,500 strokes each year.
- Just 10 days after starting a new medicine one-third of people weren't taking it as intended and two-thirds were experiencing at least one problem with it?