In this section you will find:
• Prescribing Specials. Guidance for Prescribers of Specials (NEW - published April 2016)
• Professional Guidance for the Procurement and Supply of Specials (NEW - published December 2015)
• Additional advice/clarification on crushing tablets and opening capsules (published June 2011)
• Guidance on the pharmaceutical issues when crushing, opening or splitting oral dosage forms (published June 2011)
Pharmacists throughout the whole of the supply chain have a responsibility for procuring and supplying specials in a professional manner. We are aware that the supply chain encompasses manufacturing, prescribing, procuring and dispensing of specials.
This guidance aims to support pharmacists and their teams to work with prescribers, patients and carers to ensure the safe and appropriate procurement and supply of Specials. Optimising the treatment of all patients for whom no suitable licensed medicine is available, regardless of the care setting where the patient is being treated.
We have also produced guidance to support you with the pharmaceutical issues to consider with crushing, opening or splitting oral dosage forms.
If you have any enquiries about this guidance, members can contact the Professional Support service on 0845 257 2570.
- Supply unlicensed medicinal products (specials)
- East of England NHS CPH Pharmaceuticals Specials Guidance
- Association of Pharmaceutical Specials Manufacturers website
- CPPE learning programme - safer supply and use of specials
- East of England NHS Collaborative Procurement Hub - Specials Toolkit
- The British Association of Dermatologists' list of preferred unlicensed dermatological preparations
- The Royal College of Ophthalmologists and the UK Ophthalmic Pharmacy Group Ophthalmic Specials Guidance