What our members are saying about our Library Service
"I joined for the library online resources. I couldn’t do my job without them."
Opening times: Monday to Friday 10:00 – 12:30 and 13:30 – 16:00.
If you wish to view a particular item in the library collection, please contact the librarian to check its availability before visiting the library.
If you need advice on accessing information, our trained librarian is here to help. Call 020 7572 2300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lending service now available to members. Members may borrow up to 10 books.
The Library has organised a series of webinars for members. The final one is:
- Using the RPS library databases: Webinar 3. Systematic reviews
Please book via the Events page.
New e-books available:
- Maudsley Prescribing Guidelines in Psychiatry. 12th ed., 2015.
- E-books and e-journals
Having access to electronic books allows you to study and research from the comfort of your desk. The library provides access to central texts, a medical dictionary and calculator.
The library has carefully selected four high quality databases on pharmacy and allied healthcare sciences, including both citations and full text materials. The advanced search functions allow you to find the most relevant articles for your topic:
- Medline Complete – find citations and articles on any given topic.
- Cinahl Complete – specialising in treatments and interventions in healthcare.
- Biomedical Reference Collection Corporate Edition - covers disciplines from biomedicine and health sciences to the health care system and pre-clinical sciences.
- International Pharmaceutical Abstracts - focused on pharmacy in all its forms and indexes 750 titles in pharmacy and medicine from around the world.
E-guidelines journal, an invaluable way for keeping up-to-date on guidelines and the issues surrounding them.
- MedicinesComplete is available in the library - authoritative information to support clinical and drug research decisions.
- Information skills training
The library has resources to support your information searching. From factsheets to webinars, you can access information skills training in whatever form suits you.
The print collection at our library includes key publications and titles relating to pharmacy practice, research, science and history.
The library holds the full range of Pharmaceutical Press publications and textbooks, including Martindale: the complete drug reference, Stockley's drug interactions, British National Formulary and The Pharmaceutical Journal.
Our collection also includes pharmacopoeias, proprietary texts and formularies from around the world.
The British Pharmacopoeia 2016 is available to read in the library in print or on the computer.
Search the catalogue to find out what books are in the library.
Members may borrow up to 10 items at any one time and the loan period is 28 days. Just contact the library with your membership number to register.
Please note that the cost of returning items, is the responsibility of the borrower. Certain standard works of reference cannot be loaned so please check with the library for details.
Members can order articles, drug monographs or book chapters via the library.
• If it is available from RPS Library stock the cost will be £5 per item.
• If the item has to be obtained from another library, costs will vary.
However, we will notify you of the potential costs before the item is ordered.
Please allow 5-10 working days for items to be sent.
To use this service, you need to complete a copyright declaration form, depending on the purpose of your research – private study or commercial research - sign it (for legal reasons we can’t process any unsigned forms) and either post it or email it to us.
You can photocopy in the library (within the limits of UK copyright legislation). The costs for copying are: 20p per page for Members and 50p per page for non-members.
Library of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society
66-68 East Smithfield
Tel: 020 7572 2300
Fax: 020 7572 2499
If you are not eligible for membership, you can visit the library by making an appointment beforehand. Please email the library with dates and time that you would like to attend.
Unfortunately the library is not available for those who are eligible for membership, but are not currently members of the Society.