Agnes Borrowman was the first woman to serve on the Society's Board of Examiners. Beginning her career in her native Scotland, she soon discovered that many customers would prefer to leave the shop than be served by a woman.
In 1914, she moved to 17 The Pavement, which remained her registered address for the rest of her life. At first, she worked alongside Margaret Buchanan, but after the First World War, Agnes became the sole proprietor.
By 1923, of the 15 girls trained at The Pavement who studied at the Pharmaceutical Society's School of Pharmacy, 14 had taken prizes and scholarships. Under her leadership, the business was staffed entirely by women. She believed firmly that if women were given the opportunity, they would achieve just as much as male pharmacists.
In 1923 Agnes became the first female member of the Society's Board of Examiners, thus displaying her commitment to education and training.
In January 1945, the pharmacy was badly damaged by a V2 bomb that fell nearby. Agnes was severely shaken and left London for some time to recover. It was at this point that she converted the business into a limited company, called Deane and Co. Chemists Ltd, with Miss Hilda Francis Wells as Director.
Agnes died in 1955, aged 74.