Consultant pharmacist post approval
Working with the NHS, we have established an application and assessment model for reviewing and accrediting consultant pharmacist posts across England and Wales.
SUBMIT YOUR POST APPROVAL APPLICATION
How to apply
Applications for recognition of a new consultant pharmacist post will be by submission using the Consultant Pharmacist Post Approval Application form.
The post approval process will consider:
- The level of practice expected of the post holder
- The proposed impact across the healthcare system
- Succession planning
- Arrangements for management, supervision and job planning.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- Job description
- Person specification
- Job plan
- Organisational map.
An example application form can be found here. Please note, that this example is based on a previous application format, therefore, some questions may differ.
Post approval checklist
- Complete post approval application form
- Complete supporting documents: job description, person specification, job plan and organisational map
- Complete purchase order template
- Complete submission form, upload supporting documents and purchase order template
The post approval process
Developing consultant pharmacist posts
2024 Submission deadlines
Final submission deadline
Anticipated outcome date
18th February 2024
16th April 2024
23rd June 2024
13th August 2024
22nd September 2024
12 November 2024
Who will assess the posts?
Posts will be assessed by a panel of experts comprised of:
- A clinical expert in the area of practice of the post
- A pharmacy leader with a system wide role
- Representation from an education commissioner
- A member from the post-approving organisation.
What are the possible outcomes?
- Provisional approval – panel states what change is required and sees an amended version
- Not approved – panel states why submission was not approved and a re-submission to a full panel is required.
The fee for an application to be reviewed is £375.
A purchase order will need to be submitted with your application. This will be sent to our finance team who will raise an invoice for payment.
You'll need to pay the invoice before we can continue processing your application.
Using the Consultant Pharmacist title
The NHS consultant Pharmacist Guidance sets out the requirements for using the title consultant pharmacist when providing NHS services. When posts are awaiting approval or individuals are undergoing the credentialing process the title consultant pharmacist must not be used. More detailed information can be found here.
Directory of approved consultant pharmacist posts
Approved consultant pharmacist posts will be added to our directory of approved consultant pharmacist posts across England and Wales.