Learning event – Royal Society of Medicine - 19th June
Posted on behalf of Gareth Kitson
As part of my Darzi Fellowship, I’ve been undertaking a variety of stakeholder interviews examining the attitudes and perceptions of pharmacists towards new models of providing care. One key theme which emerged was that pharmacists, from all sectors, felt they would like to improve their knowledge of supporting patients with mental health conditions. As we know the way in which patients with mental health conditions are being cared for is changing. More emphasis is being placed on primary care services and less on secondary and tertiary centres. Therefore, staff working within primary care will start to see patients with conditions they may not have encountered before.
Therefore, I am hosting a multi-professional FREE, one day learning event on the 19th of June at the Royal Society of Medicine which will examine the new ways that care is being provided to patients. Experts from Pharmacy, Medicine and Nursing will share their knowledge around managing patients with mental health conditions, allowing them different professionals to learn from each other in a safe environment.
At the end of the day, participants will:
- Understand the indications for new medicines available for the management of mental health conditions
- Understand the treatment options available for patients suffering from conditions linked to addiction
- Apply the principles of therapeutic drug monitoring to complex scenarios
- Develop ideas and networks for closer working across professional boundaries to improve mental health care in the community.
This event is aimed at:
- All practitioners (doctors, including GPs, GP trainees, pharmacists of all levels, nurses, trainees, OT / PT) who are currently working, or will be working within this setting and wish to gain an update in areas they may not have encountered so far.
- All practitioners (doctors, including GPs, GP trainees, pharmacists of all levels, nurses, trainees, OT / PT) who are working within secondary care, and may have an interest in mental health.
- All practitioners (doctors, including GPs, GP trainees, pharmacists of all levels, nurses, trainees, OT / PT) who work at the interface between the relevant mental health services.
The day will be made up of a variety of thought provoking lectures, interactive workshops and dynamic networking events aimed to dissolve boundaries between the providers of mental health services and improve the outcomes of our patients.
FREE LUNCH AND REFRESHMENTS WILL BE PROVIDED
Spaces are limited, so to find out more and register your attendance, please visit the website below. If you have any questions about the day, please contact Gareth Kitson (Darzi Fellow HEE - [email protected]) or Camilla Sen (Darzi Fellow RSM - [email protected]).
Sign up: https://communitymentalhealth.eventbrite.co.uk/
We look forward to seeing you there