RPS Workforce Wellbeing Survey
In 2019, our Wellbeing survey highlighted the mental health difficulties that pharmacists face every day. The current crisis has only amplified this pressure. See the highlights of survey results.
We are continuing to advocate for support for the mental health and wellbeing of pharmacists. Our main asks are:
1. All pharmacy workplaces must have a culture that is conducive to positive wellbeing, including:
- Employers must give pharmacists access to the breaks they need – Employers are encouraged to make use of flexible opening provisions to support their staff during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Having the right level of skilled support staff to help pharmacists manage their workload
2. All pharmacists must have equal access to NHS-funded occupational health service.
3. Pharmacists and their staff must be protected against COVID-19:
- Ensure adequate supplies of quality personal protection equipment (PPE) are available across primary and secondary care
- Provide COVID-19 testing as a priority for front-line staff delivering NHS services, including primary care contractors such as community pharmacies
- Ensure that all pharmacy teams across the NHS are kept safe and protected against any forms of aggressive, violent and abusive behaviour.
The mental health and wellbeing of pharmacists and their teams is vital at this critical time and we are raising this issue, amongst others, with government and other relevant organisations.
See a summary of our survey results