Models of care for pharmacy within primary care clusters (Wales)
The NHS Wales Prudent Prescribing Implementation
Group (PPIG) and The Royal Pharmaceutical Society
(RPS) believe that patients in Wales will benefit from
the full integration of a pharmacist’s clinical expertise
within primary care settings.
PPIG and the RPS believe health and wellbeing will be improved by:
- Innovation: Further developing innovative ways of local
working that embraces and utilises the skills and clinical
expertise of pharmacists.
- Workforce planning: Ensuring workforce plans fully
incorporate the skills and experience of all health and social
care professionals, providing a comprehensive multidisciplinary
care team in people’s own localities.
- Integration: Fully utilising the skills of pharmacists within the
multidisciplinary team in treating common ailments and minor
injuries as part of national arrangements for unscheduled and
- Patient empowerment: Facilitating patients to share their
health record with appropriate professionals when accessing
services in a primary care cluster.
- Access to pharmaceutical expertise: Enhancing local care
through routine access to a network of pharmacy expertise in
each primary care cluster.