Vision for the future
Patients, their families and carers will have full access to the expertise of the pharmacy profession when they need it. There will be new ways of working to improve patient care, including:
- The use of new technologies to connect patients with the pharmacy team
- Harnessing the skills of pharmacy independent prescribers in the Welsh NHS
- The inclusion of pharmacy in healthcare triage
- Seven day a week access to pharmacy services
- Integrating pharmacy into all multidisciplinary hospital and community teams
Patients will benefit from personalised pharmaceutical care plans. By working in partnership with pharmacists and other health professionals, they will be able to create an individual plan which will contain key information about their medicines and health goals.
The plan will allow real time information to be updated by the pharmacist and shared securely with appropriate healthcare professionals. The benefits will be improved patient safety and fewer time delays in treatment as patients move around the NHS.