Manifesto for Pharmacy in Wales
The voice of pharmacy for the 2021 Welsh Election.
The next Welsh Government will continue to face significant challenges in the delivery and sustainability of health and social care services.
In the run-up to the 2021 Welsh election, it is vital that the political parties and candidates for the election are fully informed of the important role that pharmacists play in health care delivery in Wales.
To enable patients to benefit from the unique skills and knowledge of pharmacists, we are calling on the next Welsh Government to:
• Embed the clinical capabilities of the pharmacy team across all NHS settings through robust multi-professional workforce planning, education and professional development
• Further integrate pharmacist independent prescribing into routine NHS care and ensure the universal roll out of services proven to benefit patients and improve capacity.
• Reduce the risk of medication errors and emergency hospital admissions by allowing pharmacists to access and update a shared electronic patient record.
• Accelerate the development and roll out of digital prescribing solutions across Wales.
• Ensure that citizens have access to emerging advanced medical therapies and pharmacogenomic therapies through investment in pharmacist training and service development.
• Support a legal framework to allow community pharmacists to make professional decisions in the supply of medicines to patients during times of medicines shortages
• Improve the quality of patient care by guaranteeing protected learning and teaching time for pharmacists across all sectors.
• Ensure the highest quality of care by supporting the health and wellbeing of pharmacists through access to NHS funded mental health and wellbeing support.