Managing patients that you don’t usually see, in any setting.
We recommend that you revisit the management of common acute and chronic conditions seen in practice. Here is a handy list from our Core Professional Knowledge Guides:
- Clotting disorders – DVT and PE
- Atrial Fibrillation – management and prevention of complications
- Heart failure – with reduced ejection fraction and with preserved ejection fraction
- Hypertension and hypercholesterolaemia
- Ischaemic heart disease
- Diabetes – Type 1, Type 2, gestational, alcohol or steroid induced
- Stroke – haemorrhagic and ischaemic
- Asthma and COPD
- Dementia and Parkinson’s disease
- Common infections – respiratory, urinary tract, skin and soft tissue
- Chronic pain
Get to know your references:
Download the BNF app from your mobile device app store for easy to access and up-to-date drug monographs. Access is free within the UK. See our overview here.
Find out if your organisation has access to MedicinesComplete, or a current version of Medicines, Ethics and Practice.
Other resources to refresh your knowledge:
- Oxford Handbook of Clinical Pharmacy: RPS members can access for free in our e-library -There are helpful chapters on therapy-related issues, including: Cardiovascular disease, respiratory system, infections, endocrine, pain, palliative care
- Clinical Medication Review: A Practical Guide (2014) – a useful guide to medicines review and identifying medicines-related problems (Specialist Pharmacy Services)
Back to the top