3. Underpinning Knowledge - Legislation and Professional Issues

Anyone trading medicines, other than to a patient, is required to:

  • Hold a wholesaler licence – also known as a wholesale distribution authorisation (WDA)
  • Comply with the Good Distribution Practice (GDP) standards, and pass regular GDP inspections
  • Have a suitable experienced ‘Responsible Person’ named on the licence to ensure that medicines are procured, stored and distributed appropriately