3. Underpinning Knowledge - Legislation and Professional Issues

A licence is needed for a pharmacy to import or export Schedule 1, 2, 3 and 4 (Part I) CDs. A licence is needed for Schedule 4 (Part II) CDs, unless the substance is imported or exported by a person for self-administration. There are no restrictions on the import or export of Schedule 5 CDs (see Table 12). Pharmacists are often asked about arrangements for patients who are taking CDs abroad. The Home Office is the regulatory body in this instance and may require individuals to apply for personal licences in certain circumstances.